Wednesday 11 July 2007

Sharing the knowledge

Yesterday I went round to Kirsty’s to help her sister with some maths – none of which I really remember. (When I say “remember”, I possibly mean “recognise” or perhaps even “learnt in the first place”).

Nonetheless, we struggled through and I like to think, made some headway. In fact I was pretty pleased with the outcome and surprised myself with how much I was able to remember correctly and pass on to my young padawan.

This made me think that I might be good at teaching. Maybe not in a classroom situation – but possibly on a one to one tutoring basis where I could attempt to share the knowledge I have gathered with people learning it for the first time.

Sounds like an ideal job – and it probably would be if the students I worked with were all going to be as easy going and intelligent as Gill – but in reality you would open yourself up to being approached by all sorts of mentalists.

Dealing with morons/trouble makers/ idiots in a comedy club is now something I can deal with and deal with pretty well after years of Mac Star gigs, however on a one to one basis where I had some position of responsibility – other than being trusted to hold a microphone – is a totally different matter.

It wouldn’t be long before I told someone that couldn’t grasp the concept of differention that they should apply for a media studies course instead, or replied to some smart assed remark with a strategically placed heckler style put-down – only for them to run off crying to their mother while I end up being promptly fired.

I guess teaching, like so many other good careers, just isn’t for me.

I suppose I’m just going to have to keep writing jokes and swearing at drunks instead…what a waste of a private education…

1 comment:

Bunstan McFunkstan said...

i'm a comedian (well, you know, I'm "up-and-coming") and a teacher bud, you'd prolly be a very good teacher, if you can use your gsoh to galvanise your class, build rapport, get their trust that you're not one of the establishment, and still get the subject over to them. You have lot's of advantages over the old bastards that ruined yours and my education, well mine anyway.