Friday 6 July 2007

This Summer's Blockbusters

I went to the cinema recently to see Zodiac – what a movie! I urge everyone that reads this to go and see it now!

No…stop reading…go now! I MEAN RIGHT NOW! You can read the rest of this post later…

So how was it? I can answer that for you…”brilliant”.

Unfortunately, having seen the trailers for the rest of the films coming out this summer I am led to believe that Zodiac won’t be surpassed when it comes to quality.

Although, that’s not to say I’m not looking forward to this summer’s offering for cinema-goers.

One film I’ll definitely go to see is Transformers the movie. I remember weeks spent as a child at Centre Parks watching nothing but the animated series. I seem to recall the televisions there having only one channel that showed only Transformers and My Little Pony – when people say TV was better when they were a kid are simply liars.

I can remember watching Transformers and being amazed at robots that turned into planes, cars and ultimate fighting machines – but there were also some pretty useless ones out there as well, such as Soundwave.

Soundwave was one of the bad guys – a pretty terrifying, massive robot that transformed into…wait for it…a cassette deck. While all his evil brothers were out waging war and wreaking havock on civilisation, all he would be able to do was play some suitably terrifying music in the background. I wonder if he was bullied at school? Perhaps having the ability to transform into a radio (something that transformers with the ability to turn into cars would have as a simple built in accessory) was the Decepticon equivalent of being ginger.

But the good-guys also had their fair share of daft Transformers – a prime example being Perceptor. The robot that could turn into a microscope. That’s right – a microscope. And this microscope was bloody massive – possibly not so good at seeing small things – just making huge things even bigger. Being a writer for the show must have been a nightmare when having to write this guy into the script. The story lines you would have to come up with would be so contrived…“The world will end unless someone can accurately recite a long lost magic spell written in Times New Roman sized 2 font…surely all is lost…No wait – get Perceptor!”

It might sound shite, but it’s still better than Big Brother…

No comments: