Tuesday 10 July 2007

The big question about the new iPhone

I was browsing the paper on my way to work when I came across an article about the new iPhone. But rather than a technical appraisal of Apple’s most recent telecommunications device, the piece centred around a website that asked the question (that I’m sure is on everyone’s lips):

“Will it blend?”

Basically the sole purpose of this site is to see whether objects will blend in a traditional kitchen blender. You can watch the video of this fascinating subject here.

Why anyone would want to blend their new iPhone is beyond me – however, for publicity of the website – it really is working (I for one am spreading the word here).

I, and I am speaking purely for myself here, don’t ever take into account an object’s blendability when I am thinking of making a purchase and I can’t think of anyone that would.

Perhaps it would appeal to a starving family that would be safe in the knowledge that if all the food in the village runs out – they could blend and consume their telephone/MP3 player. Although this begs the question, “What the hell were they buying an iPhone for when they can’t afford to eat?”

My guess is that it’s an image thing.

It would, of course, be infinitely cooler to have an iPhone than several bags of rice – especially if it were one of the sleek black models.

And while you could consume the rice – you certainly couldn’t make a telephone call or listen to Bruce Springsteen Live in Dublin on it. Whereas the iPhone can suit both purposes – although you could only eat it once.

Further research on the topic will show that this guy has blended many things, ranging from golf clubs to automobile parts. He’s quoted as saying – “Whenever I get something new I always wonder ‘Will it blend?’.”

Let’s just hope he never has a baby.

And if he does, he remembers to put the lid on. It could get awfully messy.

No comments: