Tuesday 29 July 2008

Wickerblog 2008 - Part 1

So the Wickerman weekend has just passed – and what a weekend it was! I’ll take you through the best of it in the next few posts...here we go...

Thursday

The Wickerman Festival was only a day away and it was going to be awesome. Sadly Mark Nelson was not going to make it this year, however the crew from last year was still intact with Obie, myself and Martin all heading down, with the addition of my girlfriend Kirsty, comedians Keir McAllister and Jay Lafferty with her pal Laura. Although Mark was going to miss this year’s festival – we’d concocted a plan that meant he wouldn’t technically miss the gig, while also he would get one over on Keir (the three of us are continually trying to outdo each other on the Scottish Comedy Forum) and this idea was the best scheme yet.

I had arranged to travel down with Jay on the Friday where we would go to Tesco beforehand, but even still I took a trip after work on Thursday to go shopping at Silverburn in order to be as fully prepared as possible for the weekend ahead. The weather of late had been surprisingly good and I needed some new shirts, shorts, camping gear and food.
It was when I arrived at Silverburn that I realised why it was that I only went clothes shopping once a year at most – I am totally crap at it. I have no idea what is stylish or even if something fits (in my mind if it is not too small then it’s fine). I’ve been relatively lucky in life that there has always been a woman present to help (when I say help, I mean buy things for me) when it comes to clothes – whether it was my mum, Sandie, Claire or Kirsty they all have infinitely better taste than I do.

So I found myself surrounded by people looking at clothes, trying things on and chatting, while I looked at the same shirt for about 15 minutes wondering whether or not it would be a good idea to buy it. It was around this time that Jay called asking about the arrangements for the next day and I described the predicament I found myself in. She very kindly offered to help with this situation (without laughing at me or implying I was a total retard) so that I didn’t have to go through the process alone. So I stood in Next, taking photos of the various items on my phone and then sending them to her for expert opinion...though I’m now not sure how valid her opinion is as apparently the one on the left is a “no” whereas the one on the right is a “yes”...maybe she was taking the piss slightly...


....................

So clothes shopping out of the way, I headed to Tesco to get food and face wipes (in order to prevent a repeat of the Wickerman Face wipe Debacle of 2007). Fully stocked on food and with only booze left to buy I went to sleep like a kid at Christmas - although instead of being excited about the visit of a large fat bearded man, the excitement stemmed from the thought of a large wooden man on fire...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd definitely say that's the nicest shirt I've ever seen - As you didn't get a chance to wear it at Wickerman I think it should be showcased on your next big night out ; )

Amy x