Wednesday 21 May 2008

Marathon...

A few months ago I split up with my long-term girlfriend & found myself not really sure how to proceed with things in general. One thing I did know however, was that she was a gorgeous girl that was much better looking than I was and it would be unlikely I’d get that lucky again without putting in some significant effort. Slightly confused and wanting to change my life for the better, I decided that I was going to get fit and to force myself to train, I rashly signed up to run a leg of the Edinburgh marathon, safe in the knowledge it was a long way away and I had plenty of time...WORST IDEA EVER! As bad ideas go, that’s up there with: “Let’s give her a couple of these pills so she goes to sleep when we’re out for tapas...”

I first started “training” by going on a walking holiday to the Lake District where I went on a walk entitled Underloughrigg & Rydall Park. A walk, that was selected by my friend (and now girlfriend) Kirsty after looking at it’s synopsis in the guidebook, which started with the lines:

"This is a really soft walk with virtually no ascent. It is ideally suited to those recuperating from heart attacks, violent hangovers or loss of a leg."

Wow, she must have thought a lot of me! And did I feel like Id accomplished something!?...”loss of a leg”...a post accident Christopher Reeve could have completed this particular trek. But still, it was step 1 accomplished and I was proud of myself (albeit a shamefull pride that I can only liken to the feeling you’d have if you narrowly beat Jade Goody at Scrabble – as technically it counts as a victory, but inside it’s a loss).

Back to the present, and the day is now almost upon us – the marathon is Sunday and preparation has been, at best, patchy...If you would like to help us in our quest, which I know you desperately would, please visit:

http://www.justgiving.com/comedy

and help out the team (pictured below - clockwise from top left, Keir McAllister, Vladimir McTavish, Andy Vaughan & Nick Morrow):




It’s going to be tough, but hopefully it will also be fun...

1 comment:

The Heff said...

That fat bastard in the top left corner looks like he will struggle. Really struggle.