Sunday 18 May 2008

Quiz Machines

My friend Chris (you can read his excellently written blog here) and I used to meet up and go out drinking in Glasgow all the time. As a result we probably knew everything about one another and as we met on almost a daily basis, there was never much “new” to talk about. This resulted in playing the Quiz machines as a method to help pass the time. We actually got really good at a game called “Billy The Quid”, the winnings from which almost passed as our income at the time.

Every time we achieved a high score, when prompted, we would type in the name “BAWS”. It was funny for us to see the screen filled from top to bottom with “BAWS” and the Highscores table was a little bit of recognition that we were immensely proud of.

Anyway, to the point in hand – I was gigging at The State Bar last night and after leaving, a group of us ended up going out for a few drinks. We ended up in The Hall on Sauchiehall St and we spent some time playing the Quiz machine – achieving the Highscore in Monopoly. When looking at the table – the current Highscore was BAWS and since I haven’t been in The Hall for a few months – I knew it was Chris that had the Highscore...but not anymore, it has been replaced by “BAWS II”. I wonder if Chris will realise this was me. In fact I won’t wonder that for long because, he’ll probably read this first. I haven’t seen Chris in a while; however, this was a small victory for me, while still retaining the old team name.

In fact, I wonder if it would be possible to communicate with someone using the Highscores board...but considering it costs 50p a game in order to write a maximum of 6 letters, I think I’ll just send a text...

2 comments:

The Heff said...

How about a little credit for the two towering intellects that proffered wisdom from the sides?

Anonymous said...

BOZ?!?