Thursday 23 August 2007

Harold Shipman: Addict?

After my posting of a Harold Shipman gag yesterday, I was thinking about what he did and what compelled him to do it. He was obviously a sick individual and just became obsessed to the point of addiction with killing off old folk.

It then occurred to me that if this was an addiction – I wondered how it would fit in with other addictions. I know smoking is meant to be more addictive than heroin – but just how addictive is giving a lethal dose of drugs to a pensioner? Less than smoking, but more than chocolate? Perhaps it is the most addictive thing of all and we’re just lucky more people haven’t tried it out of curiosity and become hooked on bumping off the over 70’s.

I wonder if he ever struggled with his addiction like I’ve struggled with giving up cigarettes. Maybe he went for a couple of months – struggling every day and then a particularly stressful day came along when he thought – “I’ll just have a quick one to tide me over – not even a full one, just administer a small non-lethal overdose to the next octogenarian to help get rid of the cravings”. Then before he knew it he was back where he started on 20 a day…

It could have happened.

Perhaps now they should have government warnings – similar to those on cigarette packets - to help those that could potentially slip down the slippery slope like Harold did.

After all, the man was an addict and addicts need all the help they can get.

No comments: