Saturday 18 August 2007

Tales from the Circuit

I've picked up a lot of good stories from the comedy circuit and yesterday I found myself recounting a tale involving fellow stand-up and good pal Obie. Thinking about it later, I realised it has never been on the blog, so I feel now is time to include it.

If you've never met the man, you can get a general idea of him by reading my 2 part blog entry on the Wickerman Festival, where we had a brilliant laugh.

So to the story I had in mind:

One day, maybe last year/a couple of years ago, Obie and I were coming back from a gig in Dundee, with Obie driving. He was telling me that he was a bit down, saying things like:

"Andy, I'm feeling pretty depressed. I might just end it all...drive the car in front of a truck or something"

Now it can be quite hard to tell when he's joking, and quite worrying when sitting beside him in the passenger seat, so I just told him everything was cool and it was just a bad mood that would clear up in a couple of days. The conversation ended there and a short while later I must have fallen asleep due to it being the middle of the night.

Obie then pulled into the next lay-by, positioning his car infront of a giant tree, before screaming and lunging forward in his seat.

I woke up instantly, grabbed the side of the car and screamed as I saw this huge tree take up the whole of the windshield...only for me to then realise the car was parked and Obie was doubled up in laughter.

A brilliant practical joke, but also the closest I have ever come to soiling myself in public...

No comments: