Monday 9 April 2007

Watching the Masters

Last night, I watched the U.S. Masters on the BBC.

I have been a fan of golf for some time, being quite a competent player when I was younger, however, I haven’t played in about 3 years now, owing to the fact that I can no longer afford membership fees. I consider this a real shame.

Other sports that I am particularly fond of are snooker and darts.

Yes, all my favourite sports can be played while drinking and smoking.

However, golf had the advantage of being the only sport you can play outside and pretend that you are getting some exercise while also powering your way through cigarettes and alcohol (well I say ‘only’, there’s obviously the high-jump).

To spice up all the major golfing events, I tend to put a few quid on some of my favourite players at the bookies. This year, my selections weren’t doing too well at all, with the exception of Rory Sabbatini.

On the final day, he was playing pretty well and managed to get into the clubhouse with a final score of +3. At the time, this was the best score of any player that had completed the tournament.

There was however one player, Zach Johnson, still on the course at +1, and with every shot he hit I was hoping against hope that the ball went in the water/behind a tree/in a bunker, basically anything that meant he could throw away a two shot lead in 3 holes.

When I look back at this incident, I realise that I wanted some young American man to ruin the biggest moment of his entire life so that I could win £32…

I’m a bastard, ain’t I?...

No comments: