Friday 23 March 2007

Cigars After Meals

Last weekend, myself and my girlfriend Claire went to Edinburgh for the weekend for a romantic break…when I say that, what I really mean is Dundee United were playing Hearts and the trip was planned around going to the football…does this make me a bad boyfriend?

None the less, we had a fabulous time and seeing as I was on holiday I permitted myself the odd cigar.

After a meal one night, I was stood outside the restaurant having one of my miniatures when I looked up to see that the sign above me read “Miller’s Close”. After a hasty few glances over my shoulder I realised that while Miller may have been in the vicinity, he certainly wasn’t within visual range…

After a couple of minutes Claire came out to join me and we started a conversation, the first words of which were her saying:

“It’s a shame you’re smoking again…I think you’re addicted”

To which I replied:

“I disagree, I am merely having a cigar not a cigarette, so therefore am not going to start the same old habits again. And also, addiction is classed as a disease. If you were to ask for a medical explanation of the term addiction you would hear something such as ‘Addiction is a primary, chronic, neurobiologic disease, with genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing its development and manifestations. It is characterized by behaviors that include one or more of the following: impaired control over drug use, compulsive use, continued use despite harm, and craving.’ Now while I may be having a cigar, I have freely chosen to have it, rather than feeling forced by a physical dependence. I equate this to much the same way that someone may have a coffee after a meal – ie. because they want one, rather than need one…”

To which, Claire said:

“No, you misheard. I said ‘I think you’re a dick-head’.”

…Well, I can’t argue with that…

No comments: