Tuesday 6 March 2007

Amsterdam Photo Tour

Last year I spent a week in Amsterdam, which was awesome! I've included some of the photos, and I see this as the perfect place to explain them.



















The photos above are the view from the hotel balcony. "Quite a nice view" I'm sure you're musing - well yes it was. But have a look at the second picture, the one that focuses on the rooftops. Now look closely at the roof of the house with the red windows, closer, just a wee bit closer - there! What's that? No you're not imagining it - it's a shopping trolley. Look closer - there is no way onto that roof from that building, so how did it get there?

After spending some time thinking about it, I have narrowed it down to 3 possibilites that I will share with you now.

1. That it was put there by the Amsterdam equivalent of neds, while they were jellied up, or possibly even Glaswegian neds on holiday showing the Dutch some of their own culture.

2. That it fell out of an airplane carrying shopping trolleys to a new 'Iceland' store located in the near vicinity.

3. The people that live in the house put the trolley on their roof so that people staying in the hotel opposite would take photographs of it and post it on the internet.

Now, as I'm sure you'd agree, each of those scenarios are extremely plausible in their own right. It just puzzles me immensley as there is not only the question of HOW did that get up there, but also WHY would anyone put it there? What would anyone have to gain? The more I think about it, the more unsure I am. Anyway if any of you have any alternate scenarios please leave a comment!

No comments: