Sunday 11 March 2007

Laurie's & Blackfriars

Well last night was a crazy night of extremes when it came to my shows at the Glasgow Comedy Festival.

The first gig at Laurie’s went superbly, I don’t see how it would have been possible to get any more laughs than I did…The second gig, Late & Live at Blackfriars, went terribly, I don’t see how it would have been possible to get any less laughs than I did…

And such is the magic of Stand-Up comedy, as soon as you think you’ve cracked it, you are returned mercilessly back to earth with a huge bump.

Especially frustrating, as the promoter (the guy who books the acts) was at the second gig, but not the first. This seems to always be the case when it comes to this particular promoter - to give you an analogy, it is like doing consistently good hard work for the past few months but then always fucking things up when the boss is in the room...

After talking to an audience member after the show, she said she couldn't imagine a more difficult or stressful job than being a stand-up comic. It turns out she was a medical student.

Now if I have a bad day at the office, I maybe have had to work for 20mins and I feel a bit crap that I wasn't as funny as I know I can be. I go home and watch Monk before I fall asleep...on the other hand, a doctor works 5 days a week, 10 hours a day and if a doctor fucks up - someone dies and there can be lawsuits a plenty...I know which one I consider to be the easier gig...

So today, I have nothing to do at all. I’ve just watched Columbo: Death Hits The Jackpot on the Hallmark channel and there will be another episode at 4pm…happy days! Definitely the perfect cure for recovering after a late night the night before.

With today’s entry I am including the first in a series of comic strips I created called ‘Steve & Dave’. The inspiration for this came about as a friend of mine used to draw detailed and quite interesting comics and as a result, I thought I’d have a go.

Unfortunately, I don’t quite have the skills in the art department to create the conventional comic, so what we have instead is…well, it’s my work Steve & Dave. I’ll post one a day for the 8 day run it is going to have…I hope you enjoy...



2 comments:

Chris Prigg said...

King of the room at Lauries, man. King of the room.

paul vaughan said...

hello andy its me ya cousin paul
dno were to put me comments so i stuk it here email me at paulvaughan285@hotmail.com
thanks