Sunday 4 March 2007

Haiku's...

I am trying to recover from a hangover that resulted from 2 birthday parties in the last 2 days and as a result am at a loose end today with not much to do. I thought about watching ‘Tango & Cash’ or perhaps ‘Shaun of The Dead’ with ‘Directors’ Commentary No.5’ – but decided against it. Not because that would be an extremely sad thing to do, but because I did it yesterday…

In the end, I thought I’d tidy up my room a bit.

While throwing out and sifting through a load of old books I came across my Higher English folder and curiosity got the better of me, so I had a flick through.

The first section was entitled ‘Poetry’. Now I am not really appreciative of good poetry, in fact it tends to bore me slightly – but I realise it takes skill to write it and many people enjoy the stories and emotions discussed when writing in the various styles of verse. That “various styles” comment now brings me to the question -

Why the fuck would anyone ever choose to read a book of haiku's?

Because that’s what I found at the back of the folder. A whole book dedicated to haiku's. If you are not familiar with this particular type of poem – here is the first example from the first page:

"Green frog,
Is your body also
freshly painted?"

No you haven’t missed anything – there are no more verses – that’s it. There is no more to it than those 3 lines.

Anyone that says reading that is enjoyable or somehow enhanced them as a person is a liar.

In fact, I think more skill went into the scrawled limericks written by Chris Loudon and myself on the front page of my folder – my favorite being:

"There once was a guy called Dave,
Who dug up a prostitute’s grave,
She was moldy as shit,
And missing a tit,
But look at the money he saved…"

Now although probably being 15 at the time of writing that, it examines some good themes (getting what you desire for as little money as possible) and it rhymes.

Only ponces call things that don’t rhyme poems.

Poems that do not rhyme are not poems – the same way that a painting that looks like it could have been done by a spastic monkey is not art…Who can say I’m not cultured?

The sketch for today is another DMBD one from the very old days, entitled "Archie's funeral". Hope you like it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quality. I'm sure there are other, better things we came up with back in the good old days though.

I've been a regular at DMBD this year and haven't missed any in 2007 I don't think. Dobbie has also been coming along, get yourself back down on a Monday soir!