Tuesday 13 March 2007

Do we really love DQ?

I have just recently found out my timetable for the current semester at University. Not only am I in at 9am every morning (we shall see about that…) but even worse I seem to be in uni at all times that Columbo may be shown on day-time television! Be that Channel 5, Hallmark or even UKTV! Now, I know I own the first 5 seasons on DVD and if I wanted to watch Columbo I could do it whenever the hell I wanted to – but this is not the point.

I am sure everyone is guilty of watching a film they own on DVD and had no intention of watching for a good few years – just because it was on the telly (I know some people like to spell it “tele” as it is the beginning of the longer word “television” – however I prefer this way as it is also a silent homage to the late Kojak actor Mr. Savalas).

Following on from yesterday’s post about my visit to BOX on Sunday night, while we were there, Chris and I were persuaded to hold a sign saying “I Love DQ…” (DQ being the resident DJ on a Sunday night) and have our photo taken.

At first I was sceptical, however he played all the requests I had…David Bowie - Life on Mars, The Jam - Eton Rifles, The Darkness - Growing On Me, REM -The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite…

So in all fairness, it can be said, that “I really really like DQ”… (love is just a wee bit too gay…plus, he didn’t have any Tom Petty…)

Next Monday, having been at BOX the previous night, if my post starts with the words “I love DQ”, it will be because

a) He played Tom Petty (anthology from start to finish)
b) He played Phil Collins (Something I don’t think any DJ is brave enough to do in a Glasgow pub)
c) He murdered that annoying little jake that stands on Sauchiehall Street and begs for money…

In all fairness c) is actually probably more likely to happen than b).

The murder of a homeless man certainly wouldn’t create as much uproar in a city-centre Glasgow club as the resultant chaos a quick rendition of “I Wish It Would Rain Down” would cause…

...And people wonder where Glasgow gets its bad image for booze and violence from…

Here is Steve & Dave Part III (check back tomorrow, part IV is a classic...if I do say so myself...)



No comments: