Wednesday 14 March 2007

What's in a name?

I was pointed in the direction of this link, The First Names Given To Babies in Scotland, 2006, by a fellow comedian, Quentin Reynolds (from Airdrie) and felt it was just too full of unintentional comedy not to mention on this blog.

This blog entry could be absolutely massive if I went through all the names stupid enough to deserve a ridiculing, so instead I will hold myself back and only mention a random few (though these few are very very good)...

Firstly, the very first name on the very first page is “A”. Some poor child, somewhere, has only one letter for their first name…And it must not be as stupid as I first thought, as there were 2 kids with the name “A” last year! My first thought was that maybe the A stood for something, however, when thinking about it, it could simply be the indefinite article, for instance, A Wilson instead of THE Wilson.

Glancing quickly down the list, there are many examples of films influencing parents’ choices…an obvious homage to Mr. Day-Lewis with the name "Daniel-Lewis" but even funnier is the complete lack of subtlety shown by the parents of"Brandon-Lee"...Also, I wonder if "Storm's" siblings are called Night-Crawler and Gambit.

I also find it weird how there are only 69 Peters, yet Aiden (in all its different guises) has 513...I really like how this name can be spelled any bloody way you want, however surely the 1 "Aidian" is the result of a dyslexic secretary in the Birth Certificate Office...

…But, possibly the best name out the lot...

..."Skye-Destiny"...

...it sounds like some tv channel that isn't available to those on Virgin Media.

If you have a look at the list, please do leave a comment on any of the crazy names you come across.

Meanwhile, here is Steve & Dave (Part IV)...this is one of my favourites...


No comments: